Thursday 30 June 2016

Feeling a little bit sentimental


We had some beautiful rain last week (over a week ago now, where does that time go?). It gave me a good excuse to get up high and have a look around while there wasn't a cloud in the sky.
The photo above is a view from South-East around to the North-West. The centre of the picture shows our paragrass bank that is now almost full and behind that is the Herbert Crk, which opens out to the broadsound on the right (where the sun is). Our house is just above and to the right slightly from the dam you can see on the left.


This picture is from the other side of the paragrass bank. It goes from the South-West around to the North-East. You can still see the Herbert Creek just from a different side and the dam below our house is now on the right hand side of the pic. Also our yards are now more visible on the bottom left. 


This is some of the footage I took. You can see some of the newly pulled scrub below our house and also shows fairly well where the water bi-washes from dam to dam to paragrass bank. 

Other events from this week have left me feeling..... well a little bit sentimental. So I went through a few of our old home videos, well, what was left of them that hadn't been taped over by rubbish movies! The joy of VHS! I had been meaning to upload some for a while and now I've finally gotten around to it.

I am posting 3 this week, which is probably a bit too much for one week, but I promise I will do only one next time.

This video has been cut and edited, so not all of the footage is from the same time. This shows where my dad and my girlfriend Dea's dad (Stocky) were trapping scrub cattle in the army country and the difficulties that were sometimes faced with getting them onto the truck. Also I would like to point out, safety standards have improved significantly in the last 25-30 years since this was taken. Enjoy!


And another one. 


When anthrax was found on our cattle station in 1991 (I think), the military were forced to cull all these animals in a massive shoot.

This next video is of a very dear friend of mine, who sadly passed away earlier this year. This was taken at Marlborough Campdraft. He is one of the best horsemen I have ever had the privilege of knowing and he is very missed! Not to mention a true gentlemen with a kind heart and soul. I believe the horses were Idol and Cleo. 



No comments: