Wednesday 17 December 2014

Bring on xmas!!

Some nice cloud formations!!!

This fortnight began with some avid cloud watching, and although this was a nice productive storm, we did not receive any rain from it! However, the rain did come and we were very appreciative. I can't recall the exact figures now, but we had somewhere in the vicinity of 7 inches, which was beautiful. All of our dams are full and the grass is almost fluro. Just lovely! 

In between the showers we received, there was provision for some of this:

This here was the culprit!!! Evidence caught on camera... does not lie!! 
And it Definitely... was not me!! 
 

So despite the lack of length, the country will once again prosper! 
It's difficult to see in this photo, but there are two of the biggest fairy circles I have ever seen, one in the foreground and one just behind it. I could fit my horse inside it easily! Must have been a good party!
And the run-off did not take long to do just that, the creek was very still a few mornings later. 
Sadly for me, I missed out on listening to the rain on the tin roof because I was in town doing a nursing conference. However, I did get some of mum and ash's awesome cooking!! YUMMO

But back home after xmas shopping and catching up with long lost friends, I returned to an influx of these lovely little fellas:


So we got everyone in and did a bit of this:


Weirdo, sticking his tongue out

And branded a few of these, not this little one below though.... on a count of her being toooo cute!!! (and little)


Was nice to get a couple of hundred calves branded before xmas, will sure lighten the load for next year. 


Left this behind on a post overnight and returned to these Monsters, devouring it. The photo does not do their size justice!


Also noticed this for the first time this branding season..... it's amazing the things you just walk over and don't even see. We've been here 3 years now. I think maybe the rain might have unearthed, surely I'm not that blind??

Yipyaw! Off to get some more moo moos. 

Out of focus, but you get the picture, this lady was not impressed about us being near her calf. Quickly drafted in the cull paddock! Sorry love, no distemper here. 

Marbles on debu is showing some form, especially when she decided to bite one of our bulls on the flank when encouraged. I cannot describe the fits of laughter. We are thinking of renaming her 'stoke'. 
 


 So the branding and drenching, made for some long days, but this is my favourite time of day anyhow.


Snort's shadow, a horse the I thought was not a great potential, has been showing some promise... watch this space!

Gotta love smoko time at this time of year!! 
Rabbit meeting the Telstra business people! They were bemused! 

My new toy, I'm a bit excited! 
Can't wait for the weekend and I think I will be headed into xmas mode!!

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Wasn't that rain just the best Christmas gift we could have wished for!
Just wanted to wish you and Justin a wonderful Christmas, and all the best for 2015.
Pleased to see Rabbit going strong!