Saturday 12 September 2020

Dust


Yesterday, I heard the news of my uncle's (in-law) passing. It's always difficult to find the words and even as I'm writing this I find myself erasing the words and then trying to find new ones to replace them. I never had the privilege of spending a lot of time with uncle Ronny and I wish I had been able to benefit from his extensive knowledge of horses and horse breaking skills. I find it a little ironic that his passing was on my birthday, it brings to mind the cycle of life and how everything continues to move on despite the loss. I know that his death will be keenly felt by so many people across the horse industry, as he touched so many people and impacted so many with his teachings, his facebook page is overflowing with tributes. I don't think he would have thought of himself as an icon, but he definitely was! I'm certain that he has a plant of very beautiful horses where he is now!  



H came to visit a couple of weeks ago and we took the opportunity to muster some heifers while he had the chopper available. 

And we were lucky enough to have a little ride as well! So spoilt! 






I love the golden glow on the blue gums as the sun sets on them and the moon was huge...... however, I just can never seem to capture the beauty of it! The moon seems to shrink in my camera and I can never seem to do justice to the golden glow. Makes me wish I was a better artist. 










 


My hibiscus gave me a flower for my birthday. 


I was very spoilt to receive another coffee machine after the last two broke.... but I'm pretty sure that this is my last chance! So need to wrap this one in cotton wool! 

Garrett's sunflowers are growing slowly. 

My mulberries are coming along, but I don't know if the birds are going to beat me! 

My bottlebrush is turning it on for my birthday as well. The native bees absolutely love it. 

I worked some nursing shifts this week and as I was a late shift the night before my birthday, meant that I stayed in town and got to have a birthday brunch with my mum and a couple of good friends, which was very special. 

Hummingbird cake!! Yep it was delicious!!! Decorated with pineapple flowers. 


I got home from work just in time to have a midnight macaroon for my birthday. 

Yes.... well. I don't know if this storey is worth telling but anyhow.... I was given the all clear by my Dr and physio that after my ACL repair surgery that I was all good to start riding again. So we went on our first muster as a family.... my horse however, due to lack of riding and the fact that he's still pretty young, decided that he was going to misbehave. So the following morning I decided to remind him that he was a good horse and that good horses don't carry on like pork chops! At the end of our session, he had done very well and calmed down, so I decided that as the main pain in my knee was getting on and off, that I would get off the opposite side of the horse in order to save my knee from flexing quite so much. My horse, even though we had done this before when I broke him in, went "wtf are you doing" and started to move away as I was getting down. As I was already committed and didn't want to step down onto my bad leg, I had to get my good leg out of the stirrup in a hurry..... which led to me rolling my ankle on my good leg as I stepped down!! *insert spastic face here*

Soooo now I have a bad knee on one leg and a sprained ankle on the other! Which wasn't helped by the 3 very busy nursing shifts that I had. I don't think that I broke anything but you never know my luck!  

Our first family muster! I sent this photo to mum..... when I was kaka's age mum's horse used to be similar colour (bit darker and much taller) and I used to have a little white pony. So it was a little ironic.



My macaroons... finally starting to look like they are supposed to! I got 1 in 4 trays to turn out. 


Visiting our neighbours. 


Good mates. 

Love this little girl (I'm not really as tired as I look)! 

Learning to steer on the Monster Truck (Monty)

Wooah 



My first attempt at a mirror glaze! Surprisingly easy to do. 

I told Justin to take a photo of the wagyus for me to put into our new app to keep track of cattle! 

Was nice to get on a horse again. 

Pirate remembers me which is cool! I think she was hoping for some hay! 




View from the helicopter ride. 
Couple of whirlwinds. 


Flash muri in my new hat!! 

My lavender is blooming! 

Timmy... brought a new album! Love this one. 

I have no idea what this is. I saw it on my walk. 

We are having a painting party in a couple of weeks and I couldn't find anyone to teach us, which means that I'm the teacher. So I've been practising. I think I might have to offer everyone a couple of tequila shots before we start. 

Listening to this book at the moment. It's very interesting and sometimes a bit hard to get my head around. But very interesting. 


I thought I would leave you with kaka's morning face. I'm not much of a morning person either, but I'm learning to be. She's so damn cute but, even when she's grumpy. 

Hope you are all well. 
Always hug people like you mean it! 
And say "I love you", it's not hard! 

No comments: