Wednesday 26 June 2024

Winter is upon us!


So, these handful of photos come with a weird sideline story. I had a plan with the kids to go down to the swamp for the weekend to camp, so that I could capture some early morning photos. The Tuesday before, the kids and I went to scope out a good spot to camp. Just as I found the perfect spot, we drove down onto the bank and there was a dead, unscathed, black, cat!! Which, given the recent passing of our dear little Gremlin, proper put the wind up me as some bad omen. So with the significant drop in temperature, I called our camping expedition off; however, one particular morning, I was up just as the first rays were coming up and I decided to go down and get the photos I wanted anyhow!

They look a little bit like minni Loch Ness monsters.






This little dude was a bit cute, popped up right near me! 





So, you may think that there aren't really many images here! There is a perfectly good reason for that! I was FROZEN!!!!! My fingers were that cold that I couldn't even work my camera! I'm not joking, I think I had frostbite! I got home and after two cups of tea, I finally defrosted enough, but the tips of my fingers were still burning, like I had chemical burns on them! So, I discovered that I need some very good gloves, beanie and better socks; all of which I just purchased at Agrow. Plus I think next time I will also wear my thermals! 


The weekend before the brumby challenge, we took the kids to the Retreat Creek Campdraft for their gymkanana event. I was taking photos for everyone and I only not long got around to editing them. These are the ones I took of the kids. 













Had to go over the jump with a cupcake in his mouth. 






She put the whole thing in lol. 














From my Phone:

*Reverse Order Of Course*

I have been a bit slack with my SLR, I just thought for a while I'm just going to enjoy my morning walks without trying to always scour around chasing the best light to get a photo 


I do still keep my phone in my pocket though! 



How pretty are these clouds. Meant to be rain coming. It has just started drizzling very slightly today. 




Justin went to Agrow with the intention of buying himself a horse, but managed to come home with two. Thinking that this lovely little girl might be suited to Garrett. Just need to give her a couple more rides to see if they can get along. 

Justin bought himself this mare, "Stella". I think they will be mates!

Just beautiful colours in the valley when the sun rises. 


We got an early knock of from school as most of the families went to 'cluster' but as we had already just been to Emu Park, I decided that it wasn't a good idea to be away for so long. So we went down the swamp for an afternoon canoe.


How stunning is this lilly! 

Good to know that the birds aren't that scared of the canoe. I will have to get out there with my camera. 

Some of our wags coming over for a visit! They are so lazy! There is a tonne of feed in this paddock, but they choose to wade out into the water to eat the water lilies. 



Garrett's

Our last couple of days of school were pretty casual and I took the opportunity to do some painting with the kids. Nice to be able to relax together and do some art work. 

Kaka's





So good having the school house as I don't need to be so paranoid about getting paint everywhere. 


The weekend before we finished school, we travelled to Emu Park to celebrate the life of Marion Williams, the mother of a dear friend of mine, 'Mel' and who passed due to cancer, far too early. 


We took an extra couple of days and spent with Grandma. 

G man got a haircut!

We took the Rockhampton show holiday as an opportunity to go to the beach. 



I managed to get another Avocado tree for Gremlin! Hopefully I can keep this one alive. 

We made a little flower garden for Kaka! I overplanted to allow for the dead ones and so we could work out what we could actually get to grow here. 



Miss told me not to show anyone, but she said this is where she hides her Candy! 21st photo I think?


And my darling girl Sheree turned the big 4.0! So we surprised her by coming into Emerald for lunch. 



Mel and I 



My little poser.



They're getting so big! 


Thomas, Hayley, Kaka and G man 



These pair are only one month apart. 


Oh and I baked her a cake. Lucky the kids can't read cursive. I thought the unicorn was well suited! 




Kaka up for an early morning walk with me! Look at those cute rosey cheeks! Bit chilly!



And... of course.... it's definitely the season for lots of afternoon fires!


We call her "Onechook"



When you see a mob of Emus and you've got to chase them down for some photos. 



I thought this was appropriate while Justin was away on his fishing trip, that we should have this Swordfish. 

Oh that's right, last post I left you saying that I was about to head off to the brumby challenge. 






Well, while I was proud of both my boys, I was a little disappointed. They both came second last in their classes. We totally messed up our dry work patterns and particularly in Max's class, we were completely outclassed by the two young ladies that came 1st and 2nd (being only 10yrs old). Those girls did so amazingly well and I was so proud of them and their achievements. 

Max got 4th and considering the road that we've had to get to this point, I was really proud of him! We were only 2 points behind the girl in third, which was a bit of salt in the wound, considering we messed up a particularly straightforward obstacle that would have cost us a lot. Anyhow!

Dartanian did ok, but I had only gotten him in a couple of weeks before, so he wasn't anywhere near as well trained as he was last year and it showed. None-the-less, he still did pretty well for an old brumby. I wish he was a bit more trustworthy, as he would probably make a good kids horse.

I actually had an audience this year! Dick and Heather came over to cheer me on and camp with us for the couple of days we were at Springsure before they continued on their journey to Kurumba. I was very sad to be saying goodbye. I don't get to see them very often.  



Mum and Ash also came to watch me ride which was nice. It was especially good this year to have someone to watch the kids and to make all the food! I was so grateful! Oh and the numerous cups of tea! It was rather exhausting last year, trying to work a brumby and manage the kids as well. I was very lucky that I had some other friends who had show cattle that could help me with the babysitting. 





Waving to all my fans. 

He actually folded the tarp for me which I didn't think he would do. 




I tried to stand up... but he moved and I chickened out lol. 

The morning before we headed to Springsure, we had our 'last supper' at the school house before Dick and Heather left. 

And that's a wrap. I'm a bit exhausted. I think we are coming down with the flu. The kids aren't well and seem to have brought home some bug from Agrow, which is always the way! I think I might give it a wide berth next year, especially if it is right before school holidays again. 

We are mustering this holidays and my beautiful cousin Jess is coming up with her family and I can't wait to see them!!! 

Hope you are getting some rain, although I think it might be a bit isolated to central Queensland. 

With Love xx 

 

No comments: